March 29, 2011

This morning we started the day off with celery chopping and serving. Then we welcomed our new pets...sea monkeys! We sang the decimal system song and formed complex numbers.

I Like Decimals How About You?
to the tune of "skip to my lou"

I like units, how about you?
I like units how about you?
I like units how about you?
Lets all go to the bank
(children each bring a unit from the bank game)
continue as above with tens, hundreds, and thousands
This song and activity combines movement, music, and math "base 10".


As a continuation of our study of the water cycle, we focused on condensation and headed outside to observe the clouds. When we returned to the classroom, we read a book about light refraction and raindrops. Children used a glass prism to observe refraction.
Then, some children drew the water cycle on BIG paper, others drew different types of clouds, and still others glued fluffy clouds on cardboard.

Round Robin Brainstorm
Spring makes me think of:
insects
grass
calmness
butterflies
birds
flowers
frogs
the pool
fresh air
games outside

Overheard during work time:
A child was working with the life cycle of the frog. After setting out the different stages from tadpole to adult, she turned to a friend nearby and commented
"Wow this work has all different ages of frogs. Its like our classroom, the big frog is a role model for the tadpole"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Aprons Tutorial

Matching Cards

The Path to Normalization: How I Normalize my Montessori Classroom