Here in Maryland the wind-magedden has shut down our schools. As I sit here on my couch I cannot help but think of this as the ultimate teachable moment. Wind=FUN (safely indoors of course)
I know what your thinking. How do you make wind inside? Just give a toddler a flag and watch them run around whipping it through the air. Look out!
Here are several teachable windy day activities for kiddos ages 1-99.
Have fun an be safe!
1. Science: make pinwheels, tornado bottles and learn about air
NASA kids https://climatekids.nasa.gov/10-things-air/
2. Art: make kites, windsocks, flags
Look at Di Vinci' s drawings
3. Languge: draw letters on paper and place around the house. Scatter cotton ball "clouds" on the floor. Give everyone a straw and call out a letter. Children use the straw to make wind and blow the clouds to the correct letter
4. Social studies: tell the story of the history of flight.
5. Practical life: popcorn, soda water, drink with straws make meringue cookies
6. Math: measure the wind https://igamemom.com/wind-science-experiments-for-kids/?m
7. Music: windchimes, wind flutes
Peace, love, and pinwheels ♡